"Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring soul." - Kahlil Gibran

Monday 5 September 2011

Ode to a Dog


It is said, “(Love is) to know the pain of too much tenderness; to be wounded by your own understanding of love; and to bleed willingly and joyfully.” And, “Even as love crowns you so shall he crucify you.”(Kahlil Gibran)
But I tell you, what a load of bull! Why would one want to “bleed willingly”? I recognise that romantic love can lead to exactly that. Refer to dear Romeo and Juliet. I say seek a kind love, a love which forgives, which adores, which comforts.
My best mate in this world, is a little ball of fluff with a black button nose and the kindest eyes which worship me day and night. The old adage of dog being man’s best friend cannot be disproved. My little Mackie will wake up from a snooze to follow me wherever I go. He senses when I’m sad or stressed. He’ll never nag me to tell him about my day but will rather nuzzle me till I’m comforted. I need only pick him up in my arms and squeeze him tight to feel my blood pressure settling down and myself becoming calm. From him, I have learned the joy and comfort of true friendship.
This love I have for my dog takes no maintenance; no long declarations of my commitment. I can return home after a thirty hour call and he’ll just know that I missed him while I was gone as I know he waited in vigil for my return. He’ll not remember my tardiness but will praise the hour I’m back with him. Even if I leave him for the twenty minutes it takes to visit the corner shop; he’ll twirl circles round me when I’m back. A wet kiss will be slapped on any part of me within his reach.
All Mackie asks in return for his free-flowing and unmeasured adoration are his daily meals and a tummy tickle every now and then. If I spoil him with a snack or a run on the beach, his little heart blossoms.
Mackie trusts me fully. When I call him to me, he knows all bodes well for him. I’ll never hurt him; I’ll save him from attacking dogs; I’ll remove a stinging thorn from his foot. Mackie will risk his life for me and he has, in fact, jumped into a turbulent stream when he believed I was in trouble.
May I always be true to my dog, as he is to me. May he always know my love and never want for anything. And one day when he passes through the Pearly Gates before me, let me remember my best friend and smile and not be sad.


“Hear our humble prayer, O God
For our friends, the animals
Especially for animals who are suffering
For any that are hunted or lost or deserted or frightened or hungry.
For all that must be put to death,
We entreat for them all
Thy mercy and Thy pity.
And for those who deal with them
We ask a heart of compassion,
Gentle hands and kindly words.”
-Albert Schweitzer’s Prayer for the Animals



3 comments:

  1. Dear dear Dr Guinevere!

    I am deeply touched by your Ode to a dog! The words are very moving, and I can completely relate to every word.Thank you for putting into words what I have been experiencing and feeling myself!

    Long live our four-legged,big-hearted friends! forever and ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dr JJ

    Thanx so much for your heart-felt comment. I'm so glad that you are a fellow animal lover. May yours bring you hours of joy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous ode!
    I concur with you 100%.

    And how lucky little Mackie must be to have you as a mommy, Dr Guinevere.

    They humble us and heal us. They strengthen us and soften a hardened heart. They teach us so much - pure unconditional love.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete