"Your reason and your passion are the rudder and the sails of your seafaring soul." - Kahlil Gibran

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Getting back my mojo

The Urban Dictionary defines one's mojo as your sense of purpose and meaning in life. Your mojo is your personal energy and charisma, your cool or style essence. Mojo is that little bit of majic that sets you apart from everyone else. Its that sparkle, the passion that makes each person totally awesome in their own unique way.
Sounds just epic to me! Wonder where I could buy me a bit of that stuff. I never knew I had me a little mojo until there was a void where my mojo used to be. I had regressed to a place where I hated my job. It had become monotonous and frustrating and didn't stimulate me as it used to do. Despite that, my personal life was being neglected as I was spending all my time at work. I was stuck in a rut.
Now, I refer you back to my very first post on this blog. Its all about a stab heart. I just LOVE stab heart cases! I don't mean that in the figurative sense but actual knife-through-the-heart surgical cases. I do say this with the utmost respect to the patient involved. To be so close to the physical life force keeping a body pulsing, and to really see the fragility of life in such a dramatic way, can only jolt one's mojo back into your own personhood.
The specific patient I refer to was rushed into casualties by highly charged ambulance men, very aware of the urgency of the situation. A jagged 10cm long wound cut across his left precordium. Blood bubbled out in gusts with every gasp he took. I explored the wound with my finger. Under the sharp edge of his fractured rib, I could clearly feel his, already weak heart beating. After rapid resus efforts we rushed him to theater; sawed open his chest; stopped the bleeding; and with God 's grace, granted him another chance at life.
The adrenaline and, I guess, the sense of achievement jolted life back into me too.
As we pushed the patient into theater, he stopped me. With effort, he whispered, "Doctor, do your best." I was truelly moved. I don't only have the responsibility towards myself to be connected to my job and my life but other people depend on me to pour my energy and passion into being the best doctor and surgeon I can be.



8 comments:

  1. Getting back your Mojo! Magic indeed!
    Well written and delightful!
    A great gift and pure joy.
    It's glow may sometimes become a faint flicker.
    Though you may lose sight of it or lose your grip on it, if you've got it, you've got it and that puts you amongst the privileged few.
    I think you do not yet quite know what a happy person you inherently are, with such sense of purpose and stylish flair. Looking at all your really good posts your commitment to investigate and find answers at the deepest level, is also apparent. Not to mention what it is that brought your mojo back! Goodness, that takes courage and guts.
    Mindful living might help you pull through the everyday slog, grease and grind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone can access their own mojo. Its our uniqueness that makes us special. That which makes us different, which sets us apart, is what contributes most to the world around us.

      Delete
  2. The definition  MOJO as you described it is truly delicious, isn't it.
    I think people like doctors, who have a sense of purpose, are goal orientated and strive to achieve so much from early on and who have to work hard over an extended period of time with this goal in mind, can begin to feel 'mojo-less due to the daily seemingly 'purposeless' drifting and soulless hard slogging that comes with the territory.
    That's quite sad, as many doctors are multi-talented, multi-fasetted, interesting, intelligent- well, in a word, gifted people.
    It's a pity that they have to feel so isolated, in a sense, frustrated and unfulfilled sometimes.
    It takes a special kind of person to succeed under those circumstances. Perhaps doctors DO have something special- a special brush of angel's wing perhaps.
    It's a tall order, but it still is wondrous and definitely possible for those who can not be any other way. There are of course, those doctors who are quite happy just plodding along-and totally unaware even of such a thing as a mojo - obliviously satisfied with the very monotonous, uninspiring and dull daily routine. Pity some genius can't sort out these irritations that hamper your style! It seems some things never change from one medical generation to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go for it!  Stick to your guns (mojo) !!!
    This kind of gift is a rare thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No matter how bad things may be, that too shall pass....part of life's cycles.

    Sometimes, all it takes is one smile, one sentence, one song, one touch....and the aroma of coffee and roses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its true, the smallest thing can inspire and unlock creativity. May we all be aware of the wondrous world around us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helping a fellow human being is a powerful tool to access one's internal feelgood. That's one good reason to get involved.

    Good luck in your career; it seems the positive effect works for you as much as your patients.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its true. As they say, its a much better feeling to give a gift than to receive one. Medicine doesn't often receive, but always gives. Would it not be the most fulfilling job on earth if one saw all the hard work and effort one puts into treating your patients as a gift that keeps on giving and enjoys the feeling of being able to give.

    ReplyDelete